Another screw loose
… can of course be the result of spending far too many years in front of a computer screen, investigating what happens if one aluminium atom were to move slightly to the left and whether or not adding a second gold atom would better match what the experimentalists are seeing or trying to find funding for the above, but today I mean literally a loose screw.
I had already learned to check the bolts that connect the bow riser to the limbs (non archers will note that the riser is the middle part of a recurve bow and the limbs are attached to it on top and bottom, more about that in some future post). I do not even want to imagine what would happen if one of these were to give way at full draw. Then there are obviously the screws on the sight and the ones on the pressure button. But it had not occured to me to check the arrow rest from time to time. Until, that is, I entered my first competition and had tough time with arrows sliding from the arrow rest. Only after the competition I realised that it might not have been (only) my incompetence but that the wire supporting the arrows could have moved out of position. It had. So that is another screw to check regularly.
Several screws, that is. The magnetic arrow rest I am using (Spigarelli, if anyone is interested), consists of a piece of wire, a piece of thin metal, and at least six screws. It came with a technical drawing and a short description in Italian, neither of which was particularly helpful. It took three coaches three hours of fiddling to set it up correctly, something that I would never have managed myself, so I was not overjoyed when I found out last week that I somehow pushed the wire out of position again. It turned out that this time there were two screws to tighten (they are set opposite each other), but not too much, because they control the ease with which the wire returns back to its original position after the arrow has been released. But I managed. It is official: I have managed to fix the arrow rest by myself!